Thursday 22 January 2015

Wedding dress preparations

As I am sitting down after a morning of household chores to mask the state the house was in up until about three hours ago, and waiting for a new piece of furniture to materialise, I am thinking about how I can make that dress happen.
I am okay at sewing. I can repair a torn seam, sew on some decorations to plain Christmas stockings to make them special and put together some crude felt food.
I am not very good at making clothes. However, that might be due to the fact that up until now I have never used a sewing pattern. So I guess my next step is to learn how to read and alter these to fit my shape.

After the cabinet has arrived, I thought about popping into the local bridal wear shop and having a nosey around. This is less to do with lack of ideas and more with trying to find out how on earth these things are put together. I am not too worried about a corset - I either learn how to make one of those or I buy a cheap, plain white one and decorate it.

I am more in awe of those skirts - how do people manage to create that many layers and not make the hips look 4 sizes bigger than they are?


In a premature retail rush I decided to buy the material I will ultimately use to make my dress:
We have some white silk, silver fabric, white silk ribbon, sew simple glue, button-hole making things and a tiny white feather boa, which will form the collar, wrist bits and the bottom of the skirt. For decorative purposes I also added white bows, roses, mini-pearls and sequins. I am sure they will come in handy somehow.

The next step will be to find some literature on making clothes. I will need to know how to make sleeves, shirts, skirts and possibly a fabric corset.
Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Well, I am stubborn.



No comments:

Post a Comment