Saturday 17 January 2015

Dividing the Plans

Thankfully, we're both uncomplicated people. We have both decided that we're not wedding fayre people - frankly, the thought of spending hours discussing flower arrangements would make me just want to get the whole thing over with, and that is not the sentiment I would like to have attached to the big day.

We're both deciding on the venue together. We have separate guest lists, but we do talk about who we'd like to invite to which bit of the wedding. There are, however, some areas we're in charge of ourselves.

'I sort out music. You can be in charge of flowers and stuff', were the words he said. He does have a wider taste in music than I do, although I don't find much of what he listens to objectionable. When going through his playlists he asked me yesterday whether I'd like to pre-approve what we listen to. For a moment I was tempted, but I decided that it would be unfair as he had given me pretty much free reign with the invitations and decorations. So, instead, I told him I trust his choice. Plus, his mum will be there.

I may sort out some of the food. For the most part we will probably end up with catering as our oven is small and the landlord still hasn't got the grill fixed, but I am seriously considering making the cake. I am a good baker and it's really not that difficult to shape some icing. The real issue is the time. The dress won't need to be fitted, my hair doesn't take that long as I have the advantage of natural curls and I don't wear too much make-up anyway. But we'll get married on a Saturday by the look of it and it's likely we'll be up to our eyeballs in work during the week. So when would I find the time to bake? Having said that, I'm not a big sleeper at the best of times and may be too nervous. It's yet to be decided.

I wonder how many people make all decisions together and how many divide things up and just trust each other? I once had a colleague who got dragged to different fayres, shops and markets every weekend for months on end. My worst nightmare, really; I like quick decisions and let's face it, they're quicker when you don't have to compromise.

It does help we're not too fussed about the details. We are looking at life beyond the wedding day and what really counts is how we spend that time. Not so much the party itself. Over-planning can only end in disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment