Friday 16 January 2015

The Invitations

It took me a while to decide what to do with the invitations. They will be sent via post to at least 4 different countries, so postage is a concern on top of what they should actually look like. And then there is the temptation to make them big and 3D, but the concern about the state they'd be in when they eventually arrive.

So last week I went into Hobbycraft - my new best friend - with the intention to get inspired. What actually happened was that I came out with about £55 worth of materials. I don't mind too much - I budgeted for about £150 including postage.

Here's the haul:

There are the cards themselves - white perlescent blanks with envelopes. Whilst I haven't had too good an experience with perlescence in the past (smeared ink on party invitations) these ones just seemed to scream glamour so much more than any decoration I could possibly add.

I have terrible handwriting - many people have told me I should have become a doctor instead - and so I have decided to buy some 'Wedding Invitation' stickers.

There are bells, which were flogged after Christmas and some white thin ribbon - an idea which I have stolen from my cousin's wedding, though hers was red and I try to stick to silver and white with little accents of black only. It appears to be a fashion now, I've noticed, purely through the absence of silver decorative elements every time I look.

The centrepiece are some silver flowers. I bought a fair few bunches, which I will take apart and then use to decorate each card. I also have some tiny white ribbons, gemstones and bits of non-tacky confetti.

Glitter glue and my trusted mini-glue gun will be used to add details.

The only things missing are black marker and the translucent paper which will go on the inside and which will be typed on with details of our impending date.

I have bought extras to practice and in case of likely mess-ups (and because I forgot to take into account that we won't really have to send out 60 cards. More, like, 30 to couples with children and the few singles we know).

I will start crafting tomorrow as I expect the card-making to take a few days. Will keep you posted with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment