Saturday 13 June 2015

Dressmaking Mannequin


So my corset part is finished. I tidied up the top and am now pondering my next move. Should I continue with the corset as a separate part or should I add sleeves and general upper-tops bits?

I tried the latter today. I pinned fabric to my top, adjusted, sewed around it and attempted to add straps.

However, having arms flailing around my side, back and front simultaneously, whilst at the same time attempting to hold the corset in place, proved frustratingly difficult. And so I decided that it was to invest in a dressmaker's dummy.

Now, a professional one would cost about £450, for which I may as well get a dress. So, instead, I got a mannequin, which could double up as a decoration (apparently), for £39.99 from The Range.

I am a size 8, but my shape is not conventional, so I used toy stuffing and a bag to adjust the dummy to my own shape, for precision. My job tomorrow will be to add shape to the top.

I know that it looks like nothing much, but there is actually a steep learning curve going on here. Isn't that partly what this is meant to be about? That, and a gorgeously beautiful dress?


No comments:

Post a Comment