Saturday 18 July 2015

Sew loooong

I will share photos etc. before the weekend is out, as progress is not really evident, but I have bought some stiffening fabric to be sewn into the corset with the (now fully) attached bra. As I am typing, one side has panels 1-2 sewn on and the other has panels 1-2 tacked on. I will likely leave 3-4 out and attach more stiffening fabric at 5 on both sides to aid the back, but allow my hips to create a decent hourglass shape.

I used the same panels that I made from duct tape for the corset shape, so it is indeed a good idea to keep them until you are fully done.

Next I have to figure out how to do a bra shape and attach stiffening fabric to the back of the bra, in order to create a more rounded, slightly padded version. I may use toy stuffing to add more shape to my ample bosom :-)

The back of the corset currently looks really untidy, but I hope that once the stiffening is done and I am happy with the overall shape I can sew the backing fabric on and hide all the not-so-nice bits.

I am in two minds about when to do the front - is that done before or after the back? After all, the aim is to have quite a showy front and no one but myself and possibly my husband-to-be are ever going to see the inside. On the other hand, the messy inside is really bugging me, whereas the front looks quite nice even now.

I have picked up speed now, though, as the stiffening fabric uses crochet thread (yes, I am mixing and possibly abusing different types of yarn, but who cares if the result is the same), which takes up much more space and therefore is quicker to use. I am still using back stitch only, as it said in the Dressmaking book that it is a very strong stitch, and for a corset I figured that strong is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment